Sunday 30 October 2011

MY OPINION OF “GARETH CLIFF ON EVERYTHING”


For all the non-South African people who are reading this post, Gareth Cliff is a radio and television personality here in South Africa. I think the two things he is most famous (or infamous-depending on whether you like him or not) for is being labelled a “shock-jock” on 5fm and for being a judge on SA Idols.

Gareth wrote a book – which was published a few weeks ago – and the content basically is made up of his opinions on everything (hence the title).

I bought the book a week ago and tweeted this information to Gareth – to which he responded, “...let me know what you think.”
I have just finished reading it.
And I dedicate today’s post (my opinions on your book) to you, G.

First off, let me say, reading it was how I would imagine having an actual conversation with you. I have heard you talk on radio and TV...and you write exactly the way you talk. I love it when authors employ that kind of use of the English language, and so it made reading the book an enjoyable experience.

Your jokes are not always below the belt, and the humour with regards to political matters never fail to make me laugh (it was also, in some instances, educational for me, as I am one of those people who don’t like to watch the news, so my political knowledge is sometimes below very basic). Ek lag my vrek as ek jou Afrikaanse woorde lees.
The best joke in the book: without a doubt the one about Nigella Lawson. You printed what I’ve been thinking ever since we got DSTV.

There are quite a number of things that I whole-heartedly agree with.
1.      Status of Education in South Africa and also people’s attitude towards it. I am a teacher myself – an informal one who plans on getting her teaching credentials as of next year (I actually studied Accounting but never went into corporate, got a job in a school instead). It saddens me to say that I have often been ridiculed by older teachers for my enthusiasm and effort to give extra help to those children who need it. Those types of people should get out of the profession and make way for people who want to be there.
2.      Government wasting money on crap like re-naming stuff and having an opening for Parliament (I didn’t know politicians also get holidays).
3.      Too many bosses and not enough people who work – I feel like that every day. I hate being in charge. Too much of a head ache and stress.
4.      And I absolutely LOATHE people who can’t be happy for others – it will cost you nothing to celebrate and applaud (sincerely) the success and happiness of others.

I will probably have to re-read the book a few more times to fully digest everything (which I will do).

To end off, I would like to...give my opinion on two matters:

1.      I know your stance on religion. And more than that, I will not judge you or disrespect you because we do not have the same opinion on it.
      I will tell you this (and this is from my religious education and from my upbringing): do not judge an entire religion based on the few crazies that are propagated by the media. There are many people who do despicable things in the name of religion. And if I can clear up a few misconceptions, I hope that it will help make you a little more tolerant of us who follow a religion (in my case, Islam):
We are not allowed to force people to believe as we do – but we are instructed to spread our message and way of life – mostly by being living examples of it.



2.      A Muslim woman is instructed to cover her body when she reaches puberty-the only things that should be shown are her hands and face. I did not do that when I became a young lady – not that I dressed like a harlot either, but I hated wearing a scarf. I still don’t like wearing a scarf, but I do it because I want to follow my religion as it has been prescribed for me and I understand why certain things have been prescribed. I cover my body because it should be for my future husband’s eyes alone (which is not a bad thing). I cover my body because I don’t want to be leered at or worse (you know how many sickos there are in this world).
And contrary to what has been portrayed, Muslim women are not oppressed. We can have careers and prosper, as long as we observe our prayers and other tenets, dress modestly and treat others properly.
By the way, the burqah is just one way of covering ourselves and is mostly worn by the Middle Eastern women (cultural dress). As long as a Muslim woman's dress doesn't reveal her body, she may wear what she likes :))

I was really happy to discover that we share a lot of similar ideas...especially when it comes to just being human, and trying to be a good human being. This book has actually shown that your heart is bigger than your mouth :)

Thank you for the entertainment (and in some instances, enlightenment). 
Congratulations on your success!

1 comment:

  1. I got a sneak peek at the book today thanks to Ms Cherryblossom and what I read was pretty funny, but also relevant and I can appreciate that. Gareth Cliff has said in his book what I am sure many people are thinking but would not say aloud. Or in some cases he has pointed out certain things that everyone says but nothing is ever done about it.

    One thing I would say to Mr Cliff is that do not judge a person by their religion and do not judge a religion by what you see people practicing. Go to the proper sources and learn about the essence of a religion before saying anything about it.
    As a Muslim woman I find great comfort in covering myself - at least now strange, creepy men do not make lewd comments towards me or embarrass me in public or make me feel violated by their words or looks alone. So take heed of what the Muslim have to say for themselves and not what someone is paid to say on a screen.

    ReplyDelete