Monday 10 March 2014

Coriolanus

I started writing this post a few days ago...Sunday, 2 March 01h00, to be exact. Why was I up at this unGodly hour?
Because I was so wired after experiencing one of the best evenings of my life...one I was waiting three months to experience.

After a morning tutoring session with my niece, I showered, put on a pretty dress, my favourite perfume and heels, and did my make-up. And when we got to the cinema, I sat, through forty minutes of repetitive trailers, waiting for it to start.
It didn't disappoint.

I have so much to say but no words can do justice to the brilliant performance I had the privilege to watch.
Let me start by saying a big congratulations to the entire Donmar team. I am so upset that I don't live in London...I would have been your best patron.

I have never been to the theatre to watch a Shakespearean play. In fact, the last time I was at the theatre was probably at primary school, so I was expecting some stage dressing. To have the lights shine on a naked stage took me a bit by surprise but it actually worked well, forcing you to focus entirely on the drama as it unfolds on the stage. You, as an audience member, were not distracted by props or garish costumes  and made the performance on stage so much more powerful.


Before I get to my shallower musings, I need to applaud the actors for an AMAZING job. I went out and bought Coriolanus to read in preparation for the play. I am usually a fast reader but it took me a few weeks to get through it...I read it slowly, so that I could understand it to the best of my ability.
But, Shakespeare wrote plays, and I only fully appreciated Coriolanus after watching it. I certainly did not pick up humour or sarcasm when I read it, and I don't recall laughing for any scene. But I laughed like an idiot in the cinema (the people probably thought I was on crack or something) for the droll wit of Menenius, in particular, and even of Virgilia and Marcius.

All the actors were brilliant, but the performances that stood out for me were those of Mark Gatiss (kept me in stitches in almost every scene he was in), Rochenda Sandall (sensational, playing a million different characters - and for such a small lady, huge stage presence) and, of course, Tom Hiddleston.
  

What can I say?
Firstly (and here I am going to be frivolous, and I apologise in advance if it makes you a little uncomfortable), you are one sexy man. Even when you are scowling. You need to throw away every loose-fitting pair of trousers you own and only wear slim cut pants.
 

 Initially, I was struggling to focus on more than just your posterior and biceps (when did that happen???) and I was really grateful that the lady at the refreshments counter put extra ice in my drink (I needed it).

But your performance took me on a such a ride...and my emotions were scattered all over the place by the end of it.I hated your arrogance and admired your courage through the first Act; I felt awkward and uncomfortable with the intimate looks at Birgitte Sorenson in all of your scenes with her, yet I could not look away; I wanted to protect you from your own family and friends who wanted to change you;
Birgitte and Tom
my heart broke when you parted from your family, broke again when you humbled yourself to Hadley Fraser and shattered when I saw you hang at the end.

I was exhausted...yet strangely energized when I left the theatre.
Coriolanus was well worth the three month wait and R120 I paid for my ticket.

1 comment:

  1. Best. Night. Ever. Mark Gatiss blew my breath away. I am so grateful we got to go see this play, it was pretty darn amazing.

    Tom Hiddleston and you, my dearest, is to be thanked for my new found appreciation of The Classics

    ReplyDelete